Last updated on February 15th, 2021
Whoever thought to crumble up cake and mix it with frosting was brilliant! Although it seems to be up in the air who actually is behind this yummy treat, they’re definitely a fun party trend that you should consider having at your next event. Cake pops are the solution to the age old question: How do you make a cake that you can take with you? The answer is found by combining cake and frosting, rolling it into a ball and putting it on a stick.
Cake pops come in all sorts of varieties, including different gourmet chocolate coatings, animal and cartoon character shapes, and various cake and icing flavors. But, really the only thing you need to know is how to make a basic cake pop. This is actually a lot easier than it looks. These little desserts on a stick combine all store bought ingredients – boxed cake mix, a tub of frosting, and candy melts. Here are some tricks on how to make cake pops, which, with a little practice, can be easily mastered.
You Will Need:
1 box of cake mix – baked 3/4 of a container of frosting
6 inch lollipop sticks
1 bag of candy melts (white or any other colors that you would like)
Wax or parchment paper
Block of foam about two inches thick
What to Do:
1. In a medium sized bowl, crumble up your cake into little pieces.
2. Mix in 3/4 of the frosting container. Your cake mixture should be sticky and able to be molded.
3. Roll the cake mixture into small balls about the size of a ping pong ball. Use a cookie scoop to keep the size of your cake balls consistent. Place the cake balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
4. Melt your candy melts in the microwave or use a double boiler. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
To make your chocolate more liquidy, add a few drops of vegetable oil. Test your chocolate with a spoon. It should easily drizzle off the spoon.
5. Dip one end of the lollipop stick into the chocolate. Stick the dipped end into the cake pop. Place the cake pops into the freezer for about 30 minutes to harden.
6. Take the cake pops out of the freezer. Melt more candy melts. Using a spoon as your guide, dip each cake pop into the chocolate coating and cover the cake pop completely. Check for any drips and a toothpick to clean up the bottom of the cake pop.
7. Add any desired decorations – sprinkles, sugars, edible glitter, etc. Place the cake pop upright in the foam block. After completing about five to ten cake pops, place them in the freezer for about five minutes to harden.
8. Take the cake pops out of the freezer. Place in your cake pop display or wrap individually. Serve to your guests. After you master these techniques, cake pops are sure to become your go-to-treat for your special events.
So if you haven’t tried making this delicious cake on a stick treat yet – DON’T be intimidated. They can be really easy and a LOT of fun. If you still want to learn more, follow these five essential cake pop tips that are sure to help you with any other bumps in the road. We would love to hear about your cake pop making experiences and see some pictures of your creations. We’ll even share them on our Facebook page!