20 No Carve Pumpkin Decoration Ideas
This post contains affiliate links which help support One Simple Party. As always, we only recommend things that we truly love. Full disclosure here.
As I’ve discovered over the years, not all pumpkins are meant to be carved. Just like Easter eggs. Not all eggs are meant to be dyed.
Just because a holiday has a certain tradition, doesn’t mean you have to follow it.
Although I enjoy carved pumpkins, my issue is that they aren’t actually that amazing unless they’re lit up. And it’s usually only on Halloween night. Later into the night too.
Carved pumpkins don’t exactly make the best inside Halloween decorations. I have never felt the need to place one in my dining room and light it up.
They also don’t last that long. Certainly not the entire month of October, which is normally when I start decorating for Halloween. At least indoors.
On the other hand, when carved pumpkins are outside, I don’t get to enjoy them. And usually the squirrels wonder by for a nibble. Or two.
5 Reasons to Use No Carve Pumpkins
So over the years, I’ve started to incorporate no carve pumpkin decoration ideas into my Halloween decorating. There are a few reasons for this addition.
- No carve pumpkins are super fun to make together as a family. We can get creative without any knives involved. And everyone can participate. From toddlers to teenagers. And no mom – aka me – has to worry about who is going to slice off which finger next.
- You can get super creative. Honestly, there is only so much slicing and dicing I am capable with using a knife. No carve pumpkins let me get creative with lots of different media. I can paint, glitter, add feathers and decoupage a pattern all in the same pumpkin if I desire.
- They are the perfect craft to make with a group. I can’t say I recommend carving pumpkins with others unless you are mostly adults and the liquor cabinet is securely locked. No carve pumpkins on the other hand. You can make those with groups of all sizes. And everyone will have fun. Kind of like decorating gingerbread houses.
- No carve pumpkins can be displayed inside or out. Depending on weather and how you decorated them. They are the perfect addition to a mantel, sideboard or Halloween/fall dessert table.
What Kind of Pumpkin Should I Use?
The most important thing that you’ll need for no carve pumpkin decorating is a pumpkin.
There are two kinds of pumpkins up for consideration. A real pumpkin. And a faux pumpkin.
When deciding between the two, think about what kind of project you want to create.
If you hope to use the pumpkin season after season, then I recommend choosing a faux pumpkin. They are made of foam, which makes them sturdy and great for crafts. Artificial pumpkins also come in many different shapes, sizes and colors. You can purchase a set of artificial white pumpkins here or choose from lots of colors with these. There’s even black ones for extra spooky decorating! (affiliate)
For projects that just need to be around for the current season, you can use a real pumpkin. Choose the perfect size and color that works.
And remember that a white pumpkin makes an amazing background for your design. The plain white acts as a beautiful canvas – especially if you’re working with brighter colors or glitter.
Other Supplies for No Carve Pumpkin Decorating
After you choose the perfect pumpkin, it’s time to gather the rest of your craft supplies. Although each of these no carve pumpkin decoration ideas has specific materials, there are some general supplies that I like to keep around for making no carve pumpkins. (affiliates)
- Sharpie markers – lots of colors or super wide ones are fun
- washi tape
- glue gun (with glitter glue sticks for fun melted glue effects)
- fall themed scrapbook papers
- stick-on jewels
- acrylic paint
- wiggly eyes
- glitter glue pens
Favorite No Carve Pumpkin Decoration Ideas
When it comes to which no carve pumpkin decoration ideas you want to make, there are lots of choices. Some are scary and many are funny or cute. You also can create them using mini pumpkins or large ones. White or orange. Real or faux (that’s what the ones you buy from the craft store are called, right?).
Most importantly, they are really pretty to look at and last awhile. So pretty that it’s hard for me to choose an absolute favorite from this list.
Never to fear! These little spiders won't hurt you. Using black puffy paint and wiggly eyes, these painted spiders are more fun than scare. Just watch their eyes. They may feel like they're following you.
Mod Podged Pumpkin
If you're using your no carve pumpkin decoration in a more formal space, this easy to make Mod Podged Pumpkin by Burlap and Blue is a beautiful addition. Choose paper that matches the colors of your room and you'll have pretty fall décor before you know it.
This Frankenstein Pumpkin by Fun Money Mom is an awesome addition to Halloween décor. Big or small, he is sure to add a little spook to your space. And oh how I love his eyes!
Adorable DIY Unicorn Pumpkin
After having a little girl, I will be the first to admit that it's hard to say no to a unicorn anything. Especially one that's so pretty and sweet. I love how Suburban Simplicity transformed a white pumpkin into something so magical.
Sometimes you might want to keep your no carve pumpkin decorating project super simple. Especially if there are younger kids involved.
These self-adhesive foam stickers can transform any pumpkin into a beautiful work of art.
And no glue or paint is necessary. (affiliate)
DIY Easy Paint Pour Pumpkins
The marbled look on these pumpkins by The DIY Nuts is so pretty. It looks like the perfect no carve pumpkin idea for anyone who doesn't mind a little mess. Don't worry. It will dry!
Washi Tape Pumpkin
One of my favorite craft supplies is... washi tape. (affiliate) So, I am super excited about this Washi Tape Pumpkin by Made with Happy. Not only can you use it for Halloween, but it's also the perfect party decoration for an October birthday.
Add some colorful rainbow fun to your no carve pumpkin decorating with these Mini Rainbow Melted Crayon Pumpkins. Fun addition to your fall and Halloween decorations.
Race Car Pumpkin
For any car racing fans out there, this race car pumpkin idea by The Suburban Mom doesn't just have to be for Halloween. You can also use it to celebrate the car racing season. Or even as a decoration at a race car party.
Rae Dunn Inspired Dollar Store Chalkboard Pumpkins For Halloween
I still can't get enough of the Rae Dunn look. I love how she has transformed typography design. And so simply.
These Rae Dunn Inspired Chalkboard Pumpkins by Our Crafty Mom make a pretty decoration anywhere in your house. Choose Halloween words or even a name to make them extra special.
Easy Sharpie-Painted Pumpkin
My favorite no carve pumpkin decoration ideas state "No art skills needed". Even as a designer, these words can be welcome. Especially after a long day of creating.
And it turns out that a white pumpkin makes a great canvas for another one of my favorite craft supplies - the Sharpie marker.
Check out this Easy Sharpie-Painted Pumpkin by All Crafty Things for Sharpie inspiration for all things pumpkin. It's so pretty!
For anyone who thought brads were only for scrapbooking or sewing, think again. These bradded pumpkins by The Country Chic Cottage are a fun no carve idea to decorate mini pumpkins. A great way to add a little sparkle!
Harry Potter Pumpkin For Halloween
When my kids think Halloween, they immediately start discussing the Halloween scene from Hogwarts. My only guess is that Harry Potter and Halloween are associated with many a young witch or wizard these days.
If your kids (or adults) love this famous wizard, check out this Harry Potter no carve pumpkin idea by Fun Money Mom. He's the perfect next addition to your bookshelf.
No Carve Hot Glue Spider Web Pumpkin
If you like spiders, this amazing Hot Glue Spider Web Pumpkin by The Suburban Mom is sure to add a spooky touch. I love the 3D texture of the hot glue. It's amazing all of the creative ways you can use it!
Foam Pumpkin Craft Ideas: Yarn Pumpkin DIY
When I think of no carve pumpkin decorating ideas, I usually mainly think about paint and glue. But, it turns out, you can also create yarn pumpkins too. Check out this creative yarn pumpkin idea by A Country Girl's Life. They would add such a cozy feel to any space.
Rustic Bandana Pumpkins Craft
If it isn't yarn, you could make a no carve pumpkin from a bandana. These cloth pumpkins by Divine Lifestyle give a rustic feel to your Halloween or fall decorating.
Making their own squishies is one of my kids favorite activities. So when I found these DIY pumpkin squishies, I thought they'd make the perfect no carve pumpkin decorating idea. I just had to add them to the list! (affiliate)
No-Carve Pizza Pumpkins
Finally, a pumpkin that's good enough to eat. This no carve pizza pumpkin by Atta Girl Says is enough to make me (and probably trick or treaters) hungry. And to think, with a few adjustments, you can decorate with your favorite pizza toppings!
Time to get your sparkle on! These glitter pumpkins by Made with Happy are a great addition to any Halloween or fall decorating. You can even choose the color of glitter that matches your color palette the best.
How To Copper Leaf Pumpkins
If you're looking for a dazzling no carve pumpkin idea, this Copper Leaf Pumpkin by Just Paint It Blog might be the perfect fit. Using copper leaf, they carefully covered it to give it the copper shine. Such a pretty addition to fall.
Other Fun Halloween Activities and Crafts
- Show your Halloween spirit with these DIY Halloween Bottlecap Necklaces. Includes Free Printable Halloween Circles to help you get started.
- Make a Halloween Bat Snack for an upcoming kid Halloween party. Serve as a snack at the celebration or send home for kids to enjoy when they get home.
- Instead of serving just water at your Halloween party, why not serve Cauldron Bubbles?
- Add this Free Printable Cute Halloween Banner to your Halloween décor this year. Perfect for those looking for a less scary option.
- Challenge your friends to see who can solve all of these word puzzles first with this Free Printable Halloween Word Scramble. Perfect kids Halloween party game idea or after dinner challenge.
- Send good wishes and create a childhood keepsake with this DIY Thumbprint Spider Halloween Card.
- Serve these ghoulish Halloween Ghost Kabobs at your next Halloween party. The best part – they’re actually on the healthy side.
Love these No Carve Pumpkin Decoration Ideas? Be sure to pin them below to save for later.