Sweet and Salty Sand Pudding Cups
This post contains affiliate links which help support One Simple Party. As always, we only recommend things that we truly love. Full disclosure here.
Not everyone is lucky enough to live near the beach. Actually, if you think about it, most people live nowhere near the beach.
I always seem to manage to live in places that are at least 3 hours away. So even though I love the sand and ocean waves, I don’t get to go to the beach whenever I want to.
And that’s why there’s this dessert. These sweet and salty sand pudding cups are the perfect way to recreate the feel of being at the ocean even when you live hours away.
But what makes them salty? I added crushed pretzels to the sand. I love the taste of sweet and salty together. So, that combination seemed to be the perfect way to recreate the sand in this dessert.
These sand pudding cups are also a fun summer dessert to serve at a beach birthday or pool party. One of my favorite parts is that you can decorate the top with any candies that you can imagine. I think some gummy lobsters or gumball beach balls might be fun in a future version. And don’t forget the beach umbrella.
How to Make Sweet and Salty Sand Pudding Cups
You will need:
1 Package of Golden Oreos
2 cups of pretzels (add a few more if you like a saltier taste)
1 box of vanilla instant pudding
2 cups of milk
8 oz. whipped topping (defrosted)
8 oz Mason jars or 9 Ounce Clear Plastic Cups (affiliate)
Gummy bears, Red Gummy Lobsters Candy (affiliate), Gummy Starfish Candy (affiliate), Sixlets Candy and other decorations for the top
4 Inch Umbrella Cocktail Picks (Affiliate)
1. Using a food processor, crush up the package of Golden Oreos. (Okay, I admit it, I stole two cookies out of the package. They are really good.)
2. Add 2 cups of pretzels and pulse to crush.
Note – This is my favorite food processor. It is one kitchen appliance I really couldn’t live without. But if you don’t have a food processor, you can also crush the cookies and pretzels in a blender. Or place in a plastic bag and smash with a mallet. This is a great activity for the kids to enjoy or to let off some steam. (affiliate)
3. Make the vanilla instant pudding according to the box directions.
4. Stir in the whipped topping and mix together.
5. Next, it’s time to layer your dessert. Start by adding 2 scoops of the cookie crumble mixture to the bottom of each jar. Then, add 2 scoops of the pudding mixture. Repeat two more times. Finish the layered dessert with a final layer of cookie mixture.
6. Decorate the tops of your sand pudding cups. I added a drink umbrella for a beach umbrella. And some gummy bears who came to the beach that day. You can also use Teddy Graham bears and some gummy lobsters or starfish. I think Sixlets candy would make nice sand toys. Get creative!
If serving these at a party, you could create a mini candy bar with the dessert. Then, invite guests to decorate the tops of their sand pudding cups with their own beach scenes.
Serve your sweet and salty sand pudding cups at your next summer celebration. They make a fun addition to a beach birthday party, pool party or end of school celebration. You could even add a patriotic touch and use them at a Fourth of July party.
Looking for some other summer dessert ideas? Check out these other fun summer dessert ideas on our blog.
Strawberry and Blueberry Cream Cheese Tarts
Easy to Make Dirt Pudding Cups