Some days the kids nap together and sometimes they don’t. On the days that M takes a late afternoon nap, Little Bug and I find some quiet moments in the kitchen baking. This has resulted in some delicious treats, which, of course, makes Mr. Mountaineer especially happy.
On one particularly hot day last week, I decided it was time to try baking the ultimate cookie with Little Big – s’mores cookies. (Yes, I went against my mom’s rule about not heating up the oven on a really hot day – you can only make so many popsicles!) I read recently about creating a s’mores cookie using your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe as a base. Instead of just adding chocolate chips, you also add graham cracker pieces and mini marshmallows (or marshmallow bits). Here is my version of this delicious cookie using my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe from Hershey’s 1934 Cookbook. The result was chewy, gooey chocolatey goodness that melted in your mouth. Absolutely the perfect summertime cookie!
Recipe adapted from Hershey’s 1934 Cookbook
You Will Need:
3/4 cup softened butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
A 12 ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag of chocolate chips
1 cup of mini marshmallows
6 graham crackers broken into small pieces
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Beat together butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs and beat well.
3. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture, beating until blended.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and graham cracker pieces. Be sure the marshmallows are covered in cookie dough to slow down melting.
5. Scoop the cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Leave plenty of space between the cookies since they spread when baking.
6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes. Gently remove the cookies onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
These s’mores cookies are really quite amazing with a glass of milk. We’ve been struggling with getting Little Bug to drink milk, so I thought this might do it. Unfortunately, no, but she did enjoy mining out the chocolate. Her only confusion was what happened to the marshmallows… Another lesson for another time!